Stay Informed


Understanding Property Taxes


Distressed Owner Occupant Extension (DOOE)

Homeowner Property Tax Overview

Interest-Reduced Stipulated Payment Agreement (IRSPA)

General Tenant Information

Make it Home Program

Pay As You Stay (PAYS)

Tax Foreclosure Prevention:
The Homeowner Property Tax Assistance Program (HPTAP) and Pay as You Stay (PAYS)​

Two Steps to Reducing Your Property Taxes : Intro to HPTAP and PAYS

The Homeowner Property Tax Assistance Program (HPTAP), sometimes known at the Poverty Tax Exemption (PTE) provides an opportunity for homeowners to be exempt from their current year property taxes based on household income or circumstances. 

To enroll in HPTAP, use the City of Detroit's online application form.

How to Enroll in Pay As You Stay

Pay As You Stay (PAYS) may reduce the amount of delinquent taxes owed for lower-income homeowners who qualify for their cities, township's or village's Poverty Tax Exemption (PTE).
Click here to view the Wayne County Treasurer's Office Taxpayers Guide to PAYS.

The following Wayne County communities are participating in PAYS:
Dearborn, Dearborn Heights, Detroit, Ecorse, Grosse Pointe City, Grosse Pointe Farms, Hamtramck, Highland Park, Plymouth City, Redford Twp., Rockwood, Romulus, Sumpter Twp., Taylor, Trenton, Van Buren Twp., and Westland.

If you are interested in applying for PAYS, and live in a participating community, contact your local municipality to apply for a Poverty Tax Exemption (PTE). UCHC's tax team can assist homeowners with the completion and submission of this application. Please contact us if you require assistance.

For Help with the PTE application:

  • Contact UCHC (313-963-3310) or Wayne Metro (313-388-9799), or

  • Call United Way at 211 or text HELP to 85274.

If you need to speak with a tax foreclosure counselor call our hotline at 313-405-7726