Tax Foreclosure Prevention Counselor
As a tax foreclosure prevention counselor, you will work directly with residents of homes at risk of property tax foreclosure to help them navigate the process and keep their home. They will work with a high volume of clients, including homeowners, renters, and others. They will integrate information from data sources, client interviews, and external resources to create and execute individual plans that will both support and inform clients in the course of taking the necessary steps to save their home.
• Analyzing individual circumstances and property tax data to communicate the client’s options, and create a plan for how to navigate the foreclosure.
• Working with a large volume of clients in person, over the phone, and via email.
• Completing necessary paperwork related to foreclosure prevention and homeownership.
• Working remotely and in-office and directly with clients on an in-person basis pending safety considerations for COVID-19.
• The successful candidate will believe in UCHC’s mission and demonstrate a passion for driving the organization’s growth and a genuine care for assisting clients and being helpful.
• Have existing knowledge of property, housing, and property-tax related issues, particularly as they relate to low-income households in Wayne county
• Strong problem-solving skills
• Computer skills including proficiency in Microsoft Office & Excel, ability to navigate remote tasks are a necessity for this position.
• Strong passion for serving individuals and for working toward justice
• Effective communication skills, both in writing and speaking.
• Strong listening skills and ability to strategize; comfortable receiving input and feedback from many sources, and able to act on information to develop increased support.
Requests assistance when needed and approaches tasks with the understanding that we are always learning.
• A hard worker with a high energy level; a “doer” with a willingness to work hands-on in developing and executing a variety of development and advancement activities.
• Ability to problem solve and to negotiate while maintaining positive, respectful relationships.
Salary commensurate with experience. UCHC offers generous medical benefits and time off.
Willingness to maintain a flexible schedule of both in-office and work-from-home conditions.
Schedule: 8:30 - 4:30 or 9:00 - 5:00 Monday - Friday, though some additional time may be required depending on client needs.
Applications are now being accepted and reviewed.
Position open until filled.
United Community Housing Coalition (UCHC) is a nonprofit comprehensive housing assistance organization, which has provided a variety of housing-related services to Detroit's low-income residents since 1973.
The organization has worked with tenants, homesteaders, homeowners, the homeless, community organizations rebuilding neighborhoods and providing affordable housing, religious, civil rights, labor and housing advocacy organization to improve, preserve and expand affordable housing opportunities for low-income Detroiters.
Because of its long history and significant expertise as a comprehensive housing services provider in Michigan, the organization is frequently asked to provide advice to other organizations in communities across Southeast Michigan.
All service are provided to income-eligible families and individuals free of charge.
United Community Housing Coalition (UCHC) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, UCHC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, and termination. Consistent with state and federal laws, UCHC is committed to maintaining a workplace free from the abuse of drugs and alcohol.