Home Repair Coordinator
Primary Objectives of Position:
The Make It Home - Home Repair Program (MIH-RP) services all Make It Home Clients. It primarily works with people who experienced foreclosure, purchased their homes out of foreclosure through the Make It Home Program, and who now need repairs for their home. The repair primarily focuses on health and habitability repairs and range from roofs to heating systems to electrical and more for limited income homeowners. The Home Repair Coordinator works directly with the Director of Repairs, other repair team members, and the inspectors to execute and grow the MIH-RP. The department, itself, has many responsibilities but most importantly repairs and inspections. As Home Repair Coordinator, it is your role to work as a team to ensure repairs are completed while ensuring the department’s other goals are achieved in tandem.
The day-to-day of this position ranges from working directly with clients to identify home repair options, tracking the progress of ongoing home repairs, reporting to grantors, ensuring timely payment of contractors, and building networks of home repair programs.
- Communicate with Clients including creating flyers, emails, and phone calls.
- Facilitate and complete repair intake for clients
- Understand the repair options and requirements for grants and loans to best advise the client
- Collect the correct required documents from repair clients
- Record touchpoints with clients in salesforce
- Understand that UCHC will not be able to address every repair and be prepared to have difficult conversations.
- Understand that UCHC can, and will, address repairs and know that this is a lifeline for some clients
- Communicate with contractors required correct paperwork, documents, and photos
- Submit check requests to ensure prompt contractor payments
- Refer contractors to our department to increase contractor networks
- Ensure data compliance across UCHC’s platforms
- Communicate with partners to improve and continue our programming
- Grant reporting, typically on a monthly basis
- Draft up land contract loan amounts and leverage grants for clients
- Delegate inspections, when needed
- Support for Make it Home inspections
- Communicate to other departments our capabilities
- Develop and reiterate the repair program as needed
Skills and Qualities:
- Seizes opportunities to grow the MIH-RP for the benefit of our clients.
- Is respectful, organized, flexible, can work independently and takes initiative
- Works as a part of a team
- Is comfortable working with uncertainty and willing to change things for the better
- Will represent UCHC with clients and other partners.
- Communicates with partners to improve the process
- Has a basic understanding of existing home repair programs for low-income homeowners in Detroit
- Asks questions
- Comfortable with (or is willing to learn) Office 365, Salesforce, Excel, Landgrid/mapping software, Time Tap
- Ability to make phone calls
- Comfortable with basic data analysis
- Basic math/accounting skills
Salary commensurate with experience. UCHC offers medical benefits and time off.
Willingness to maintain a flexible schedule of both in-office, in-field and work-from-home conditions.
Schedule: 8:30 - 4:30 or 9:00 - 5:00 Monday - Friday, though some additional time may be required depending on client needs.
Applications are now being accepted and reviewed.
Position open until filled.
The United Community Housing Coalition (UCHC) is a nonprofit comprehensive housing assistance organization, which has provided a variety of housing-related services to Detroit's low-income residents since 1973. The organization has worked with tenants, homesteaders, homeowners, the homeless, community organizations rebuilding neighborhoods and providing affordable housing, religious, civil rights, labor, and housing advocacy organization to improve, preserve, and expand affordable housing opportunities for low-income Detroiters. Specific services include legal representation, rent payment assistance, housing relocation, tenant organizing, foreclosure prevention, home purchasing and repair support. All services are provided to income-eligible families and individuals free of charge. UCHC provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, UCHC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, and termination. UCHC gives great consideration to life experiences in hiring and has hired several former clients to staff positions. Consistent with state and federal laws, UCHC is committed to maintaining a workplace free from the use of drugs and alcohol.