top of page

Legal Services


United Community Housing Coalition provides free legal representation for low-income tenants in landlord-tenant court cases. We are proud to go above and beyond providing legal advice, representing many of our clients in Non-Payment, Termination of Tenancy and Health Hazard cases. Our seasoned attorneys work hard to help our clients navigate the complex legal system as well as fight to ensure their rights are being upheld. 

Walk-in Tenant Counseling

Landlord-tenant eviction counselors will be available at the UCHC office every Tuesday  1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. on a walk-in basis. We will see the first 5 people.

Emergency cases may be seen, as staff is available, at any time.

Landlord-tenant eviction counseling services and legal representation is available for eligible clients to prevent evictions as staff is available. It is highly advisable that you contact UCHC before your court date.

If you are need of immediate shelter contact the CAM at (313) 305-0311.

Walk-in Tenant Counseling

Court Housing Clinic

In partnership with Michigan Legal Services, UCHC offers legal representation and advice at the 36th District Court on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings. 

Tenants with residential eviction cases scheduled that morning can seek legal representation from attorneys at the Court Housing Clinic on a first-come-first-served basis, depending upon financial eligibility.  It is highly advisable you see UCHC before your court date.


Tenants must check in at their court room first and tell the Court officer that they are going to Room 417 to seek legal assistance.

If your case is not scheduled for the day you come to the clinic, please know that we will take cases scheduled for hearings on the particular day first. Others may be asked to come to walk-in intake at our office.

Court Housing Clinic

Documents to bring with you:

  • Complaint, Summons, Notice to Quit or Demand for Possession, and any other court papers received. 

  • Lease, Land Contract, or other documents setting forth the agreement to rent.

  • If Section 8, bring recertification documents that indicate tenant’s monthly payment amount, move out packet or any other documents from Section 8 concerning the current property.

  • Receipts for rent (including money order stubs or bank deposit receipts).

  • Receipts for any repairs made.

  • Correction Order from City of Detroit Building and Safety Division if have one.

  • Photos of any repair issues, printed out as paper photographs. 

  • Utility bills and receipts for payments if they are part of the case.

  • Any other papers concerning the property.

Documents to Bring
bottom of page