Tenant Organizing Outreach & Placement Specialist
The Tenant Organizing Outreach & Placement Specialist will work alongside the Director of tenant organizing to assist tenants in privately-owned, multifamily developments rental units and developments subsidized by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). The tenant organizer will work with low income Detroiters to assist with issues around displacement, educate tenants in HUD housing about their rights, and help tenants preserve and improve their homes.
·Identify properties that are at risk for displacement of tenants due to sale or building conditions.
·Develop a housing plan for each property based on renovation, displacement due to sale or building closure.
·Develop a relocation plan for tenants, either temporary or permanent.
·Provide case management for tenants to assist with housing needs; refer tenants to appropriate resources as identified by need.
·Create and maintain files and database as directed by the program director.
·Establish ongoing working relationships with landlords and property management companies, residential service providers, and vendors.
·Meet with fellow staff, landlords and service providers to help resolve conflicts that might arise with referred participants.
·Compile, maintain, update and distribute comprehensive housing inventory which identifies available housing units and vacancies among residential programs.
·Maintain an inventory of program resources.
Work collaboratively with internal and external partners.
·Maintain all required documentation in an orderly and timely manner.
·Participate in all team and staff meetings.
Participate in program and operational planning as needed.
· Experience related to resource development or housing advocacy.
· Higher education training that resulted in an associates degree or undergraduate degree, or a high school diploma or GED will be useful for the reporting and communications components of this position.
· Knowledge of housing, employment and other human services is required.
· Communication Skills: Ability to work effectively with both private and public sector managers and direct service staff.
· Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
· Ability to effectively present information and respond to inquiries, etc.
· Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete personal variables that reflect client needs and capacity.
· A valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle will be useful for this position.
· The tenant organizing outreach & placement specialist may need to enter properties that do not yet comply with ADA accessibility standards. Accommodations can be made to enable the selected candidate to perform the essential functions of this position.
· Full-time position.
· Salary commensurate with experience. UCHC offers generous medical benefits and time off.
· Willingness to maintain a flexible schedule.
· Schedule: 8:30 - 4:30 or 9:00 - 5:00 Monday - Friday, though some additional time may be required depending on court filings.
· Expected start date: Immediately, Applications are now being accepted and reviewed.
· Position open until filled.
Interested candidates should send a resume, a completed employment application (click here) and to firstname.lastname@example.org.
United Community Housing Coalition (UCHC) is a nonprofit comprehensive housing assistance organization, which has provided a variety of housing-related services to Detroit's low-income residents since 1973.
The organization has worked with tenants, homesteaders, homeowners, the homeless, community organizations rebuilding neighborhoods and providing affordable housing, religious, civil rights, labor and housing advocacy organization to improve, preserve and expand affordable housing opportunities for low-income Detroiters.
Because of its long history and significant expertise as a comprehensive housing services provider in Michigan, the organization is frequently asked to provide advice to other organizations in communities across Southeast Michigan.
All service are provided to income-eligible families and individuals free of charge.
United Community Housing Coalition (UCHC) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, UCHC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, and termination. Consistent with state and federal laws, UCHC is committed to maintaining a workplace free from the abuse of drugs and alcohol.