UCHC provides free legal representation for low-income tenants in landlord-tenant court cases. We are proud to go above and beyond providing legal advice, representing many of our clients in Non-Payment, Termination of Tenancy and Health Hazard cases. Our seasoned attorneys work hard to help our clients navigate the complex legal system as well as fight to ensure their rights are being upheld. 

Walk-In Counseling

As of November 1, 2018 UCHC’s housing placement counseling services have changed. UCHC will no longer have a first Thursday morning intake in 2019.

Due to the elimination of all HUD funding for homeless services UCHC is no longer able to work with individuals and families living in shelters, on the streets, in their cars or other such places. Limited relocation assistance can be provided to some City of Detroit residents with a judgment, or being displaced due to new rental code laws or tax foreclosure.

Housing placement and landlord-tenant eviction counselors will be available every Tuesday beginning January 8, 2019 from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. on a walk-in basis. We will see the first 5 people.  

Emergency cases may be seen, as staff is available, at any time. 

Please bring any court documents, lease agreements, receipts for payments, your identification and that of all occupants, and proof of income with you whenever you come.

Landlord-tenant eviction counseling services will continue to representation for eligible clients to prevent evictions as staff is available. Services will continue to be offered at the 36th District Court Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings. It is highly advisable that you contact UCHC before your court date.

If you are need of immediate shelter contact the CAM at (313) 305-0311.

Tenant Housing Clinic

Monday, Wednesday & Friday Mornings at the 36th District Court, Room 417 

Tenants with residential eviction cases scheduled that morning can seek legal representation from attorneys at the Tenant Housing Clinic on a first-come-first-served basis, depending upon financial eligibility. Tenants must check in at their courtroom first and tell the Court officer that they are going to Room 417 to seek legal assistance.  

If your case is not scheduled for the day you come to the clinic, please know that we will take cases scheduled for hearings on the particular day first.  Others may be asked to come to walk-in intake at our office (see above).   

Documents to bring with you to Court:
  1. Complaint, Summons, Notice to Quit or Demand for Possession and any other court papers received. 
  2. Lease, Land Contract or other documents setting forth the agreement to rent. If Section 8, bring recertification documents that indicate tenant’s monthly payment amount, move out packet or any other documents from Section 8 concerning the current property.
  3. Receipts for rent (including money order stubs or bank deposit receipts).
  4. Receipts for any repairs made.
  5. Correction Order from City of Detroit Building and Safety Division if have one.
  6. Photos of any repair issues, printed out as paper photographs. 
  7. Utility bills and receipts for payments if they are part of the case.
  8. Any other papers concerning the property.

A photo of our LLT intake form.